Some of the best memories are made when family and friends are gathered around a table. It’s a tradition that dates back thousands of years and one that helps us remember to appreciate and enjoy some of the things that make life beautiful: family, friends, & food (and wine)! The phrase, “L’ Amour et Savoir Vivre” which translates into “Love & the art of knowing how to live well” is the mantra used by Juliska’s founders, David & Capucine Gooding, to describe their company. Here are 13 things about Juliska that you might not have known.
- Juliska was founded in 2001 by an (English) husband & (French) wife team: Capucine and David Gooding.
- The Goodings were inspired by 40 Bohemian glasses from 17th century Europe they found in Paris.
- The company started with a line of mouth-blown glass drinking vessels from the Czech Republic.
- Over 85% of Juliska’s designs are produced in Northern Portugal, or around the city of Prague in the Czech Republic.
- Juliska is passionately “design-led” and launches over 150 new and unique products every year.
- Juliska’s stoneware is guaranteed to withstand the thermal shock of being transferred from freezer straight to a 500 degree oven – it’s tough!
- They have a full time ceramic technology & modelling team in Portugal making their original designs.
- The name “Juliska” is of Hungarian origin. Juliska is an actual person the Gooding’s met during their travels throughout Europe, she is a woman of great style, taste and warmth; she is their muse.
- Their quality control personnel discards 15% – 20% of the production to maintain their high standards.
- All of Juliska’s glass drinkware is dishwasher safe, even the Czech Bohemian glass!
- Juliska normally has 95% of their products in stock in their Connecticut warehouse, which means orders usually ship out immediately.
- Everything is designed by scratch and hand made.
- Capucine and David live in Connecticut with their 3 young daughters, and a 150lb Bernese, Sir Winston, Fluffy a chicken, Pepper the bunny, Felice the cockatiel, and their fish, Bob.
Watch this fun video on all the ways to mic and match your Juliska!
Start your collection today!